The International Kamishibai Association of Japan (IKAJA)
Kamishibai is a part of Japan's unique cultural heritage that is moving forward into a new era. It is important now to create good kamishibai works which shall be performed by skilled performers, in order to enlarge the circle of the sharing of feelings (Kyokan) between audience, performers and among the people not only in Japan, but throughout the world. The aim of The International Kamishibai Association of Japan (IKAJA) is to foster communication throughout the world between people who are already enthusiasts, those express an interest in the subject and those who wish to perform kamishibai. It will simultaneously aim to promote the study of the subject from a cultural perspective, learning from each other and establishing kamishibai as a world-wide art. (The words of introduction when IKAJA was founded)
IKAJA Kamishibai Seminar in Tokyo, 2022 - NEW -
Date: 19 November (Sat.), 2022
Place: Shuppan Club Building, Tokyo
Theme: “A New Step of Kamishibai”
Event Summary of World Kamishibai Day, 2022 - NEW -
20 countries and areas have organized more than 54 events all around the world (as of 13 December, 2022).
in Tokyo, …in your town
If you know or organize some other events, please let us know.
We always welcome your event report on World Kamishibai Day.
We have opened a Facebook page, where you can share your World Kamishibai Day photos and information:
Mr. Guy Perryman interviewed IKAJA International Team - NEW -
Mr. Guy Perryman interviewed IKAJA International Team (Etsuko Nozaka and Hina Nagase) about kamishibai for his interfm radio program The Guy Perryman Show.
From 29 Oct the whole content is available around the world on his Podcast.
Guy Perryman Interviews
KAMISHIBAI Newsletter Vol.18 has been issued
We are pleased to announce that Kamishibai Newsletter Vol. 18 has been issued.
This issue of Kamishibai Newsletter focuses on main topics. The first is The Power of Kamishibai: Together with Younger Generations. We introduce unique use of kamishibai at two universities as well as at a school for speech therapists in Tokyo. We also include the voice of a young teacher who has been performing kamishibai since her childhood. The second is Voices from the World. These reports are the ones we received from Australia, Uruguay and Singapore. In addition, the fourth annual World Kamishibai Day around the world is also reported, with full translation of an article from the newspaper.
Please use the following link to the members-only page:
For those who are not our member, but interested in this newsletter, please contact us.
User ID, password, had been informed to IKAJA'ｓ members by e-mail.
If you are our member, and don't receive our e-mail or can't use the above link, please contact us.
Annual fees from Overseas Members (Reminder)
IKAJA collects annual fees from Overseas Members due to a change of the Rules. This change is applied from the fiscal year 2020 (Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 2020).
In case your annual fee is not paid, your membership will expire in March 2021. If you have some questions, please don’t hesitate to contact IKAJA secretary.
The new annual fees are as follows:
* Overseas Members from North America, Europe, Oceania countries and China: Individual 1000yen; Group/Organization 5000yen.
* Overseas Members of countries and regions other than the above: Individual 500yen; Group/Organization 2500yen.
Since you became a member between Nov. 16 and Dec. 31, 2019, or you have already paid for this year, we would appreciate your payment of the annual fee from 2021. This year’s fee is exempted.
We appreciate your kind understanding and your warm support for IKAJA.
Video Message from IKAJA: Eiko explains about kamishibai.(approx. 10 min.)
Eiko Matsui talks about the culture of kamishibai and how kamishibai creates peace.
She also explains the unique format and the key features of kamishibai, which bring kyokan (shared feelings) to the audience and the performer, with assistance of the performance by Hina Nagase in Englisn, and Sakiko Yokoo in Spanish.
If you would like to know more about Kamishibai, please see "What's Kamishibai"
- Updated Annual Activities
- Summary or World Kamishibai Day
- IKAJA Kamishibai Seminar in Tokyo, 2022
- Mr. Guy Perryman interviewed IKAJA International Team
- Information of World Kamishibai Day 2022
- Information of The 20th IKAJA Annual Meeting, Kamishibai Seminar in Tokyo
- KAMISHIBAI Newsletter Vol.18 has been issued
- Updated Annual Activities
- KAMISHIBAI Newsletter Vol.17 has been issued
- Event Summary of World Kamishibai Day 2020
- Information of World Kamishibai Day 2020
- Video message from Eiko Matsui: Spanish subtitles version
- Kamishibai Newsletter Vol. 16 has been issued.
- The 19th IKAJA Annual Meeting, Kamishibai Seminar in Tokyo were suspended.
- Video message from Eiko Matsui: Chinese subtitles version
- Mini-Booklet "Let's Perform Kamishibai": Chinese version.
- Added the "KAMISHIBAI AT HOME!" Page
- KAMISHIBAI AT HOME! Campaign
- COVID-19: Announcement from IKAJA
- Added the function of “Site Search" and “Site Map"
- Revised the annual fees from Overseas Members
- Uploaded the Recommended Kamishibai on "Members-Only, Newsletter" Page
- Uploaded the information of Kamishibai Presentation in Mexico
- Uploaded the information of Europe Kamishibai Tour by IKAJA
- Uploaded the information of Kamishibai Seminar in Tokyo, 2019