The International Kamishibai Association of Japan (IKAJA)
Kamishibai is a part of Japan's unique cultural heritage that is moving forward into a new era. It is important now to create good kamishibai works which shall be performed by skilled performers, in order to enlarge the circle of the sharing of feelings (Kyokan) between audience, performers and among the people not only in Japan, but throughout the world. The aim of The International Kamishibai Association of Japan (IKAJA) is to foster communication throughout the world between people who are already enthusiasts, those express an interest in the subject and those who wish to perform kamishibai. It will simultaneously aim to promote the study of the subject from a cultural perspective, learning from each other and establishing kamishibai as a world-wide art. (The words of introduction when IKAJA was founded)
Korean version of How to Perform Kamishibai is available
A Korean translation of "How to Perform Kamishibai" is now available.
It was translated by a Korean member. If you know someone who might be interested in this mini booklet, please introduce it to him or her.
English, Slovenski, French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Czech version are also available.
Please see …Mini-Booklet for Performing Kamishibai
Event Summary of World Kamishibai Day, 2023
22 countries and areas have organized more than 58 events all around the world (as of 22 December, 2023).
in Tokyo, …in your town
If you know or organize some other events, please let us know.
We always welcome your event report on World Kamishibai Day.
KAMISHIBAI Newsletter Vol.19 has been issued
We are pleased to announce that Kamishibai Newsletter Vol. 19 has been issued.
This issue of Kamishibai Newsletter focuses on several topics. The first is in relation with our spirit ‘to perform kamishibai also for the sake of peace’. We introduce the whole translation of one kamishibai filled with peace-loving spirit. Then you can read Voices from Japan and Voices from the World. In addition, the fifth annual World Kamishibai Day around the world is introduced with lots of photos. Can you find your own face again this year?
Please use the following link to the members-only page:
For those who are not our member, but interested in this newsletter, please contact us.
User ID, password, had been informed to IKAJA'ｓ members by e-mail.
If you are our member, and don't receive our e-mail or can't use the above link, please contact us.
Annual fees from Overseas Members (Reminder)
IKAJA collects annual fees from Overseas Members due to a change of the Rules. This change is applied from the fiscal year 2020 (Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 2020).
In case your annual fee is not paid, your membership will expire in March 2021. If you have some questions, please don’t hesitate to contact IKAJA secretary.
The new annual fees are as follows:
* Overseas Members from North America, Europe, Oceania countries and China: Individual 1000yen; Group/Organization 5000yen.
* Overseas Members of countries and regions other than the above: Individual 500yen; Group/Organization 2500yen.
Since you became a member between Nov. 16 and Dec. 31, 2019, or you have already paid for this year, we would appreciate your payment of the annual fee from 2021. This year’s fee is exempted.
We appreciate your kind understanding and your warm support for IKAJA.
Video Message from IKAJA: Eiko explains about kamishibai.(approx. 10 min.)
Eiko Matsui talks about the culture of kamishibai and how kamishibai creates peace.
She also explains the unique format and the key features of kamishibai, which bring kyokan (shared feelings) to the audience and the performer, with assistance of the performance by Hina Nagase in Englisn, and Sakiko Yokoo in Spanish.
If you would like to know more about Kamishibai, please see "What's Kamishibai"
- Korean version of How to Perform Kamishibai
- Event Summary of World Kamishibai Day, 2023
- Updated Annual Activities
- Summary or World Kamishibai Day
- IKAJA Kamishibai Seminar in Tokyo, 2022
- Mr. Guy Perryman interviewed IKAJA International Team
- Information of World Kamishibai Day 2022
- Information of The 20th IKAJA Annual Meeting, Kamishibai Seminar in Tokyo
- KAMISHIBAI Newsletter Vol.18 has been issued
- Updated Annual Activities
- KAMISHIBAI Newsletter Vol.17 has been issued
- Event Summary of World Kamishibai Day 2020
- Information of World Kamishibai Day 2020
- Video message from Eiko Matsui: Spanish subtitles version
- Kamishibai Newsletter Vol. 16 has been issued.
- The 19th IKAJA Annual Meeting, Kamishibai Seminar in Tokyo were suspended.
- Video message from Eiko Matsui: Chinese subtitles version
- Mini-Booklet "Let's Perform Kamishibai": Chinese version.
- Added the "KAMISHIBAI AT HOME!" Page
- KAMISHIBAI AT HOME! Campaign
- COVID-19: Announcement from IKAJA
- Added the function of “Site Search" and “Site Map"
- Revised the annual fees from Overseas Members
- Uploaded the Recommended Kamishibai on "Members-Only, Newsletter" Page
- Uploaded the information of Kamishibai Presentation in Mexico
- Uploaded the information of Europe Kamishibai Tour by IKAJA
- Uploaded the information of Kamishibai Seminar in Tokyo, 2019